Pages

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Southern Slang

I lived in Mississippi for about 5 years and here are a few words I picked up on. HEIDI - (noun) - Greeting. HIRE YEW - Complete sentence. Remainder of greeting.Usage: Heidi, Hire yew?" CHESTER DRAWERS.... (noun) an item used to place folded clothesUsage: "Mawma, where's my new tube socks?" "Dija check 'da chester drawers?" BARD - (verb) - Past tense of the infinitive "to borrow."Usage: "My brother bard my pickup truck." JAWJUH - (noun) - The State north of Florida. Capitol is Lanner.Usage: "My brother from Jawjuh bard my pickup truck." BAMMER - (noun) - The State west of Jawjuh. Biggest city is Berminhayum.Usage: "A tornader jes went through Bammer an' left $20,000,000 in improvements." MUNTS - (noun) - A calendar division.Usage: "My brother from Jawjuh bard my pickup truck, and I ain't herd from him in munts." THANK - (verb) - Ability to cognitively process.Usage: "Ah thank ah'll have a burger." IGNERT - (adjective) - Not smart.Usage: "Them bammer boys sure are ignert!" RANCH - (noun) - A tool used for tight'nin' bolts.Usage: "I thank I left my ranch in the back of that pickup truck my brother from Jawjuh bard a few munts ago." ALL - (noun) - A petroleum-based lubricant.Usage: "I sure hope my brother from Jawjuh puts all in my pickup truck." FAR - (noun) - A conflagration.Usage: "If my brother from Jawjuh don't change the all in my pickup truck, that thing's gonna catch far." TAR - (noun) - A rubber wheel.Usage: "Gee, I hope that brother of mine from Jawjuh don't git a flat tar in my pickup truck." TIRE - (noun) - A tall monument.Usage: "Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I sure do hope to see that Eiffel Tire in Paris sometime." RETARD - (verb) - To stop working.Usage: "My grampaw retard at age 65." FAT - (noun), (verb) - a battle or combat; to engage in battle or combat.Usage: "You younguns keep fat'n, n' ah'm gonna whup y'uh." RATS - (noun) - Entitled power or privilege.Usage: "We Southerners are willin' to fat for are rats." FARN - (adjective) - Not domestic.Usage: "I cuddint unnerstand a wurd he sed...must be from some farn country." DID - (adjective) - Not alive.Usage: "He's did, Jim." EAR - (noun) - A colorless, odorless gas: Oxygen.Usage: "He cain't breathe...give 'im some ear!" BOB WAR - (noun) - A sharp, twisted cable.Usage: "Boy, stay away from that bob war fence." JEW HERE - (noun) and (verb) contraction.Usage: "Jew here that my brother from Jawjuh got a job with that bob war fence cump'ny?" HAZE - a contraction.Usage: "Is Bubba smart?" "Nah...haze ignert. He ain't thanked but a minnit'n 'is laf." SEED - (verb) - past tense of "to see". VIEW - contraction: (verb) and pronoun.Usage: "I ain't never seed New York City... view?" GUBMINT - (noun) - A bureaucratic institution.Usage: "Them gubmint boys shore is ignert.

3 comments:

Mariah said...

Haaa, I knew you talked funny, JK, Talking with the east coast, I actually hear some of these words. How about "canst", ever heard that one?

Janell said...

You forgot "Worsh"(verb) which means to clean something, usually laundry. Usage: "Heidi, ken I worsh mah clothes in yer crick?"

("Crick" meaning small stream, of course)

Tyler Sullivan said...

Mariah,

I have heard of "canst". Although somehow that one never has entered my vocabulary.

Janell,

lolol, sounds like home

Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones