Pages

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Fun Weekend

What a Saturday! Although the thought of getting up at 6:00 am on a Saturday sounds less-exciting, it was really quite a fun day. I started off the day by trying out a new restaurant in town (new to me) called "The Western Coffeepot" with Dan McDermott. He convinced me that their platters were humongous! He proved to be right. I couldn't even finish my biscuits and gravy. It was actually very good.
After finishing up, I went back to the church to help in the schools yard sale and car wash. Every year at the end of that school year, the 6th, 7th, and 8th graders go to Marine World, so they were raising money for that. They started yesterday and finished up today. It was quite a success.
A little after 10:00, I went home and got ready for the highlight of the day. I was going up to Shingle Springs for a concert. Every year the Shingle Springs church hosts an annual songfest for whoever wants to come free of charge. The Pastor, Bro. Kelley, has put this on for the last 4 years and it has been such a fun thing since it began. It took place at his church this year and it was the most perfect spot for a concert. The shady trees, the cool breeze (loaded with pollen I might add) and the people there made it an awesome time.
I got there about 11:30 (it started at 12), and as I was getting out, so were Tim Spell and Larry Carter. These guys are some of the most down to earth people you will ever meet. Really fun to be around. Gary Harding started off the concert about 12:15 and did some awesome southern style guitar picking. He did 3 songs and following him was Larry Carter, who also did 3 songs.
Then I was up and did 3 songs, the last one being "I cant even walk (without you holding my hand), with Bro. Larry and Bro. Tim. Then it was time for Tim Spell.
Now if you have ever been to one of these concerts, you know that whenever Tim Spells time comes, he likes to play the piano and sing. This was a blast. He called everybody back up and had Aaron Underwood on the drums, Larry Carter on the guitar, Gary Harding on the bass, him on the keys, and me and Larry singing with him as a trio on all the old songs. What a blast! We finished up with "Suppertime" I think and then it was time for a break
Larry Carter is hilarious. The guy was cracking jokes all day long, AND THEY WERE ONES I HAVENT HEARD!
It was time start back up again and it was the same format this time as the first half. Gary Harding started off and then Larry Carter, then Gina, Bro Kelleys daughter, sang, and then me and then once again Bro. Spell. This time he started off with "Nothin' Like Being Able" an then "When God unfolds the Rose". Then again all the guys came up and we went live again. I have to admit I like singing some of the old songs better than the new ones. Just something about them.
We did about 6 songs together. One of these songs was "All Night Long" written by Gary Harding. Alot of people don't know he wrote it, but he did and it's a good song.
Well it was 4:00 and the concert was over. Everybody seemed to have had a really good time. There was a little time to kill before dinner, so I went to Jamba Juice with Larry Carter and Tim Spell. Strawberries Wild!! My favorite. I don't like the free boost shot though. I personally think they are disgusting. After Jamba, we went back over to the hotel and sat in the lobby for awhile talking about websites while Bro. Tim tried to figure out his phone. (I tried to tell them if they went with something Windows based they wouldn't have any problems).
Time for dinner. Bro. Kelley took us to a special Tai' place they have there in Shingle Springs and it was delicious. The Tai' tea I could have done without, but the food was outstanding. It was already 8:00! We left the restaurant and went back to the hotel. I said goodbye to everybody and headed home. What a Saturday! Thanks Bro. Kelley for the opportunity and the great day.
On the way
The Stage
Bro Kelley Praying
Gary Harding starting things off
Larry Carter
Some of the crowd
Yours Truly
Tim Spell
The Trio
The "Gang"

The "tea" I was telling you about

7 comments:

iluv2prshim said...

How fun is that! Awesome. I love Tim Spell, Larry Carter and Gary Harding. Tim was a great friend to my brother, Keith and Larry used to come to Texarkana with the McGruder's when we would have them in concert there alot. Of course I've known Gary for many years too. He just happened to marry one of my good friends. :) You were hanging out with some great guys. :) Glad you had a good time.

Unknown said...

Hi, Tyler--

Loved hearing about your day. Sounds like tremendous fun, relaxing, and uplifting. Love all those singers.

Blessings,

shirley Buxton
www.shirleybuxton.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting about this and for the pics. I have gone every year in the past, but couldn't make it this year. It has always been such fun, along with great music and singing. Glad you had such a great time.

James Wilder said...

I love all those guys. Tim Spell was the only guy I have done an airport run with that was singing at 4am as soon as he got in the truck! It's in his blood.
Larry Carter = perfect example of humility. Not humility because he's a nobody, but humility because despite of the SOMEBODY he has become, he shows Jesus through and through. Nothing but love for these guys. Of course the Kelley's used to be my kin just about... so it's great to hear Gina did a song too! I honestly had no clue about it this year - wish you would have advertised it on here.

Tyler Sullivan said...

Sis. Hurst,

Thanks. It was a great time. That kind of stuff is always a blast. They are all so down to earth and real.

Tyler Sullivan said...

Sis. Buxton,

It was great. The best part was singing all the "old songs". You dont hear to much of them anymore. A great day, all in all.

Tyler Sullivan said...

Cheryl,

Hey! Missed you this year. It was a good time. It is really fun isnt it. No pressure, just alot of good times all day long.

James,

They are all great people. I think alof of them have discovered the real secret to success....be yourself and be real and be humble, but work hard. Just my 2 cents.

Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones