Pages

Monday, May 12, 2008

Dottie Rambo 1934-2008

When I heard the news today that Dottie Rambo had passed away in a tragic bus accident, I was kind of taken back. I had grown up listening to her music. I remember my Grandma giving me her records and I would stay up late nights listening to the Rambo's singing songs like "On The Sunny Banks". I remember back in 1998 when I saw her at a General Conference in Nashville, TN. Bro. Urshan got up and said "we are glad to have Dottie Rambo here with us" and they showed her down sitting by Sis. Urshan. What a cool night! I was sitting there just in awe. There was the person that I had always heard so much about.
Joyce "Dottie" Rambo was fatally injured in a bus accident in southwest Missouri early Sunday morning. The bus was on the way to a Mother's Day performance in North Richland Hills, Texas, and was traveling through high winds when it ran off the road and hit an embankment approximately two miles east of Mount Vernon on Interstate 44. Seven other individuals were traveling with Dottie on the bus and received moderate to severe injuries, according to a highway patrol; those individuals were hospitalized in Springfield. Dottie Rambo was a beloved friend and legend in the Gospel Music community. She wrote more than 2,500 published songs during her 74 years, including classics such as "He Looked Beyond My Fault and Saw My Need" and the 1982 Gospel Music Association Song of the Year, "We Shall Behold Him."
What an example to songwriters. I often wonder what people think about when they are writing. Dottie had to have quite an imagination. Just the concept of he looked beyond my faults and saw my needs is so incredible. She painted a picture that nobody else could paint. She left a legacy and will be missed greatly.

6 comments:

Amyan said...

When I sing that song at church God works through the words to remind people of their past, present and future...then their praises go up beautifully because they are so thankful that He looks beyond ALL our faults...and we have so many...the news that she's gone is so sad though...

I actually learned to sing that song by your CD thoug Tyler...lol

C Hendryx said...

Wow... I feel you on this ... Good ol' Dottie... sniff sniff Gaither videos will never be the same sniff ...

James Wilder said...

Wow.... you would have expected her to pass on with old age. It's a sad tragedy. Yes, I also grew up with Dottie.

Tyler Sullivan said...

Amyan,

Yes it is an incredible song. Makes you wonder what she was thinking when she writing that song doesnt it.

Tyler Sullivan said...

Curtis,

Good to hear from you.

James,

Ya....really I was kind of shocked when I heard about it. Kind of twisted my stomach. You woudlnt expect somebody like that to go that way. Usually with people like that, it is this big homegoing celebration and nobody is really sad because they went the way everybody expected them to. She didnt.

Amyan said...

Tyler,

She was probably thinking what I think when I hear it...no matter how far from perfect I am, He is still everything that His word says He will be...His grace has baught my liberty over and over through the years...even some who don't have all Truth can know that because He's so good to all of us! K I'll stop rambling now...lol
Have a great day Brother...

Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones