Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sit Back, Shutup, and Listen

Has anything ever happened in your life where you just had to zip your mouth and shut-up? Were all people, and just admit it, as people we don’t like to be wrong. Human ego is a huge thing and nobody wants to be proven wrong. Especially in front of people. Have you ever met the kind of person where you can talk to them and reason with them in all logical sense in the world pointing out solid facts, and trying to tell them YOU ARE WRONG! But instead they fire back at you with some rhetorical excuse as to why they are right and how YOU are wrong when you have just given them no grounds in the world to argue on. And even in my short years of existence, I found out that’s when you cant do anymore. You just shut up, mind your own business and move on. I find those kind of people aren’t worth arguing with, because although they may not see they it, they will never be wrong in their own eyes. You can try and try and try to interject your feelings and your point to them, but in no way shape or form are they going to let you have your way without something blowing up in the process! Their way of doing things will never change. I find it personally funny that they do this not knowing people see right through all that. The moment you say something it’s never “hmm maybe your right, or wow I never thought of it that way” but it’s as if that person automatically will be on the edge thinking of how they can have a comeback for this never once thinking that I may just need to listen to this. This I think is where having an open mind comes in. You can automatically tell people that have an open mind and a person that has a closed one. That’s why when they say something, you just shut your mouth, “say uh-huh” and just slowly end the conversation. I respect a person that I can actually suggest that they may not be doing something not so wrong but not so right and they will not get offended. You can speak your heart to them and tell them how you really feel without getting some sort of ‘automatic’ response back from them trying to justify themselves. Sometimes I just have to sit back, take the heat and say “your right”. My human spirit automatically wants to start putting on boxing gloves and get into the ring trying to justify myself, but I learned a valuable lesson awhile ago. ‘I’m not always right.”. Even when I thought I had the most brilliant idea in the world and wanted to do it, thank God someone had the guts to tell me…..”your wrong”. Looking at this, I find this to be a type of leadership. When people wanted to argue with God about certain things, they wanted to get him mad and cause a “battle” if you will. Something that would drag away from his main purpose here on earth. But God in all of his infinite wisdom, simply gave them an answer and moved on. He didn’t stay to argue, he didn’t stay to try to get his point across. He simply said his mind and left. He knew he couldn’t change their mind, so what was the point in wasting his personal energy, time and calling into something that wouldn’t be changed no matter what he said. I wonder sometimes if God brings certain people into your life on purpose just to annoy you. I heard someone say once, don’t be so eager to deal out judgment on someone, because they may still have a part to play before it is all over. Thank God he gave me that chance. When I messed up, when I wasn’t perfect, his grace and mercy let me get up again. I have needed that grace, you have needed that grace and thank God he gave it to us. I had to sit down, shut up, and accept the fact that I was wrong! Just something to chew on.

13 comments:

Megan said...

Great post. Been there done that :)

Tyler Sullivan said...

Megan,

Thanks. I think everybody has....lol..at least one time or another.

James Wilder said...

Tyler,
Ah, yes...I know those people. I also know I was one of those that, at one time or another, had a hard time being wrong. And, the best thing to do is to simply end the conversation. Chances are the person will argue with themselves. If they're like me, they'll have an honest "talk with themselves" and CAN admit they were wrong. Sometimes it takes longer than others :) I've been on the counseling end of it too. Quite funny.

Two books were helpful to me with these situation (although, I admit nothing has completely relieved or has made one invincible over the "never wrong" people). The books are "How To Win Friends and Influence People" (Carnegie) and "Life Scripts" (particuarly helpful if you have subordinates, etc).

Yeah, God walked away. And if the people kept on, he just had the earth swallow them up (see Sons of Korah)!

Nice post. Showed a clip of you guys singing last night to a group that came over for fellowship. You do well! Glory to God!

Tyler Sullivan said...

James,

I have read 'How to Win Friends and Influence People'. The other however I will have to look into. Sounds interesting. Glad you guys enjoyed the clip.

Yes, I have just learned to let them have their way and walk away. You know you could win the conversation/debate or whatever it is, but what is the point of arguing with someone that has a closed mind. What is the point of ruining a friendship over something so petty. Just be the bigger person and walk away.

What did you mean by subordinates?

Mariah said...

Nice post Tyler, Just found you! But you are right for sure. No use arguing with someone who already knows they are "right" and you are "wrong" even with evidence in hand you still would not convince a closed mind. But we have to be humble and just nod and walk away sometimes. It is good to listen though and learn from the situation that you never want to be someone like that!

Kadee Sullivan said...

Great post, Tyler!! So incredibly true.

~Kadee

Tyler Sullivan said...

Mariah,

Thanks about the post.

Anonymous said...

Good post Tyler!!! Just 2 let you know I'm 1 of those people God put in your life 2 annoy you! jk!!! No its a really good post!

Tyler Sullivan said...

Kadee Thanks!!

Tyler Sullivan said...

Kandyce....LOL

We laugh to much...thanks about the post.

James Wilder said...

"What did you mean by subordinates?"
Tyler, I'm referring to a corporate term used to define employees placed in the care and supervision of another. In a religious sense, it's not common to refer to those you are leading as SUB-anything, but I was using the language of Life Scripts.

You know, being quite is not always being indifferent either. Sometimes, because we feel we are right, we can become the person that we are talking to (unwilling to listen). It can be quite humbling.

Sigh...but no getting around this type of person. Vomit. You attempt to clean it up. Vomit again. You attempt to clean it up. Finally, you just let the dribble stay on the floor! haha

Bless you.

Unknown said...

Good morning, Tyler--

This is a great post. Lots of wisdom that if heeded will save relationships and friendships.

Be blessed always--

SjBuxton

Tyler Sullivan said...

Sis. Buxton,

Thanks for the kind words. I have been guilty of doing it more than once. I've had to stop myself and actually listen to their words....even when I didnt want to. I watch and laugh while listening to people sometimes because they arent even listening to what the other person is saying. But all thats going through their minds is, how can I find some intellectual response to this person so that I can get my point across, never once hearing what they are actually saying. Help me God!

Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones