Pages

Saturday, October 25, 2008

To Early for Christmas Carols?....Or Not?

So.....when is too early to start playing Christmas Carols? Christmas is my favorite time of the year and I love listening to them, although after awhile it does get old. But what is too early to start playing and listening to carols on the radio or in your home. I was reading that there are some stations that started playing songs back in September and will go all the way through January. Is this to early? When do you start playing carols?
I know it's such a pointless subject to talk about, but I know that it is a question that comes to your mind every year. Should I play one now? Should I even start looking for the Cd's that I don't even know where I put last year? Should I turn on Harry Connick Jr. and just kick back while he sings "Sleigh Ride?" Or is it to early? Am I going to get tired of them sooner rather than later?
I was listening to XM the other day and all of a sudden Bing Crosby came on singing his acclaimed favorite, "White Christmas". As a Bing "fan", I have always loved listening to him no matter what season. Where I grew up, it always was a white Christmas. Typically 2 ft of snow on the ground and just sitting back on the couch drinking coffee waiting for all the relatives to leave.
I think after I get out of the Christmas season, I am sick and tired of hearing the same songs over, and over and over and it takes me awhile to rejuvenate and get ready for the next year. I feel the urge coming on right now just to break them all out and just start listening to them. But if I do that, I will be sick of them by Christmas so as for right now, I remain strong. I will not, I will not I will not. Well maybe just one....
I remember growing up listening to Elvis singing "Blue Christmas" and the Chipmunks singing to "Dave". David Phelps singing "Oh Holy Night" or Mark Lowry belting out his song "Mary Did you Know?" Probably one of the many favorites would be Jingle Bell Rock. What awesome memories! While mom and dad are over in New York right now on a cruise with the Mullings and Nelsons, I am enjoying this time just sitting at home thinking about these things. All the good times we would have. If theres ever a time that I am sentimental, its Christmas.
When do you all start playing carols? Do you have any favorites you can listen to for 3 months straight? I for one think I am going to wait awhile.....at least 1 more day. Oh what a great time of year!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely the day after Thanksgiving. And don't get me started on my soapbox - when department stores start playing Christmas music before Thanksgiving as if Thanksgiving doesn't exist.

MysticsKryten said...

I agree with Dustin. NO christmas music on purpose until the day after thanksgiving. can't control what you hear outside my own vehicle, and home, but i dont purposely play any until after thanksgiving. and i think my favorite all time "carol" is i wanna hippopotomous (SP). and josephs song. and mary did you know. and i gotta quit before i go looking them up and break my own rule!!
-sonia

LAS said...

Too late, I have already started listening to Christmas songs a few weeks ago! I love Glory to God in the Highest sung by Ernie Haase & Signature Sound. Jessica Simpson sings Hark the Herald Angels & Baby it's cold outside - Just love it!! ... Oh, don't you love how David Phelps sings O Holy Night?! ... What about Jesus Oh What a wonderful child sung my Allison Durham Speer?... Have you heard the Oak Ridge Boys Christmas cassette? It is so old but every year I listen it over and over - I need to put that on my ipod! Hey ya'll it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas (somewhere I am sure)Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night!

Doug, Viola, and Baby said...

Hey Tyler. I think that Christmas Music can come anytime. But for me I like to start listneing non-stop right after Thanksgiving!

Tyler Sullivan said...

Dustin,

Agreed.

Sonia,

lol hurry

LAS

Sig sound has some good ones. Jessica Simpsons "Baby it's cold outside" is great as well.

Doug,

lol me to. However i get pretty tired of alot of em, so i just have to drink more egg nog to keep on listening.

MysticsKryten said...

Tyler - i can't hurry! thanksgiving aint passed yet. for crying out loud! and i agree with doug... non-stop. but now i know the trick... egg nog to help ya keep going!! thanks!!! -sonia

Mariah said...

Oh absolutely Dustin, the day after Thanksgiving, is when Christmas comes alive at our house. Bradlee asked the other day to put Christmas carols on...I said NO! so he listened to them in his room. Ha Ha he is already in the mood. I tire quickly of the radio playing the same old carols. I love the newer Christmas music and some old carols, I despise greatly "Santa Baby!" Just ask Jessica. Ha Ha.

Tyler Sullivan said...

Sonia,

lol ...yaaaaa!!!

Mariah,

I think the general consensus on this post is after thanksgiving

Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones